Abbotsford Convent Studio Residency Program
About the Abbotsford Convent Studio Residency Program
The Abbotsford Convent Studio Residency Program has a focus on supporting artists to develop work/s that are site-specific or site-responsive. The work/s created through the studio residency will be presented throughout our site, as a vibrant and temporary means of fostering delight and dialogue as well as engagement between our site, urban landscape, artistic community and audiences.
The studio residency program offers a unique opportunity to have time, space and support to undertake site specific or responsive research, investigation and consideration.
It offers you an opportunity to invest in your own artistic practice and at the same time build your professional network and share your work with diverse audiences.
The Convent, with its many buildings, many people and textured history is fascinating and layered. However the continual change experienced across the history of our site combined with the spaces within and in between our built environment are delightfully porous and ripe for artistic investigation.
Each year a selection panel assesses proposals based on applicants’ responses to the following selection criteria:
- The commitment and capacity of the applicant to use the opportunity to progress their artistic practice and makes good use of the studio space and Convent site through this site specific/responsive studio residency
- Demonstrated track record in successfully completing previous projects to the highest artistic standards
- The quality of the applicant’s artistic concept to add to the creative dynamic of the Convent and make an impact on our community.
Australian as well as international artist(s) who work in any media or form are eligible to apply.
A condition of applying for this studio residency is that the successful applicants will commit to producing a site-responsive or site-specific work / body of work as well as present an artist’s floor talk or other creative public programming concept.
Studio Residency Program 2018
In 2018, the studio residency program will provide two artists with:
- Studio space for six months with 24/7 access
- An honorarium of $2,500 to be invested in the studio residency project outcome
- Access to Convent staff for support and mentoring
- Marketing and communications package to promote your studio residency and outcome.
Residency 1: Friday 22 December 2017 – Friday 22 June 2018
Residency 2: Monday 25 June 2018 – Friday 21 December 2018
The studio is a 10m² space located in the west wing on the second level of the Convent building. Facilities include: free WiFi, power points, access to a wash-up sink, heating, shared kitchenette, bathrooms, shower and subsidised car parking and venue hire.
Please note that Expressions of Interest (EOI) for the Abbotsford Convent Studio Residency Program 2018 are now closed. Current applicants will be notified of the outcome later in 2017.
Keep an eye out for the next round of EOIs in August 2018, and stay up to date with the Abbotsford Convent Studio Residency Program and other residency opportunities by signing up the our monthly e-news, The Humbug.