Convent Kids presents: Sensory Art Lab
Calling all children!
Come to the Convent this summer and discover new sights and sounds as you create hands-on art in our Sensory Art Lab – all for free!
From discovering new things to see, hear and touch in the sensory-enabled Audible Touch Space, to creating a giant woven installation full of vibrant colours, children are invited to enjoy new experiences in a stimulating and fun ‘DIY’ atmosphere.
Children aged 1 – 12 years old are invited to ignite their imaginations in our:
- Archoloom Weaving Room – Creating a large-scale woven installation on bamboo scaffolding, made from mixed materials including recycled wool
- Sonic Archery Room – Using soft archery arrows to target drum sets, creating great sounds and beats
- Mini B-ball Space – Creating soft balls for throwing in the basketball hoops
- Audible Touch Space – Hearing and touching in a sensory-enabled space specially designed for younger children (aged 1 – 2 years) and their carers.
The free Sensory Art Lab will be held each day from 10am – 2pm, 8 – 21 January 2018 – no bookings required. All children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
On Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 January, an Auslan interpreter will be available to help deaf and hard of hearing children and families to enjoy the 'Sensory Art Lab' experience.
This program is delivered in partnership with the expert team at Slow Art Collective, whose creative practices focus on environmental sustainability and collaboration.
SENSORY ART LAB PARTY
Families are invited to attend the very special 'Sensory Art Lab' party on Saturday 20 January, at the new time of 2 – 4pm. Slow Art Collective’s Dylan Martorell curates an engaging afternoon of performances on the c3 forecourt with DJs and live music from Galambo, Kelp DJ and Music Yared. Plus, keep cool with the delicious Snow Ghost, a Taiwanese Shaved Ice Food Truck, onsite from 12 – 4pm.
- Prams, front packs and slings welcome
- Changing facilities are located on the first floor, main Convent building
- Pram parking is available in front of the gallery
- Car parking is available in the Convent car park, conveniently located opposite the Convent's main entry on St Heliers Street
- Wheelchair access is available throughout the gallery
FIND OUT ABOUT MORE UPCOMING EVENTS
Sign up to the Convent’s monthly e-news, The Humbug, to keep abreast of what’s on at the Convent, including upcoming Convent Kids events scheduled for February 2018.