Walk With Us
Since the Abbotsford Convent Foundation (ACF) was formed in 2004, the generous support of our community of donors and partners has helped bring piece after piece of the Abbotsford Convent’s heritage spaces back to life for our community to enjoy.
With 11 uniquely beautiful buildings dating right back to 1868, the restoration work we do is rigorous, methodical, costly and ongoing. That’s the thing about heritage restoration work – it never stops! And there’s still so much more we need to do.
Right now, two striking features of the Convent Building are in a state of disrepair and require urgent remedial works:
- The dilapidated heritage balcony sits in a prime position overlooking the Convent’s stunning gardens, yet remains closed and inaccessible to the community for safety reasons.
- The 110+ year-old tessellated tiles lining our public walkways are beautiful, but in a state of increasing disrepair; with much of the walkway crumbling, and gaffer tape providing a temporary protection until funding is secured for professional conservation and repairs.
Piece by piece, your support helps open up more of the Convent’s heritage spaces to the community – whilst also actively supporting the essential maintenance and ongoing TLC needed for all corners of this thriving precinct.
Your support today will help us:
- Engage a recognised experienced heritage tile conservator to assess, restore and replace the delicate 110+ year-old tessellated tiling on the balcony
- Repair the extensive heritage tiling throughout the ground floor of the Convent Building
- Ensure the balcony space complies with current building codes – including installing a toughened glass balustrade
- Enable the balcony to become a safe and accessible prime-position space for arts and cultural community activations and events
- Open a piece of the Convent’s history for the very first time.
The Convent is very proud to announce a new partnership with FDC Construction & Fitout, who will match-fund all donations to this campaign up to $40,000, to reach the $80,000 required for these significant restoration works.
This means every donation you make will be doubled in value – and have double the impact in helping us reach our goal, faster.
If you’re passionate about the Convent and want to protect Australia’s precious heritage for the future – please donate to our ‘Walk With Us’ campaign today.
Your support is an investment in the future of this incredible place. Please consider making a donation today.
Donate online or call Alexandra Murphy, Head of Development, on 03 9415 3607.