Sustainable Water Harvesting
The Convent’s 6.8 hectares of green open space offer a place of retreat, 365 days a year. We are working hard to ensure our heritage gardens survive and thrive for generations to come, and continue to play a vital role in connecting our growing community, enhancing health and wellbeing, and nurturing wildlife in their natural habitat.
Right now, we’re focusing on water: how we can better harvest it and utilise it across the entire Convent precinct.
We’re currently losing 80% of the Convent’s available rainwater each year – simply because we don’t have the infrastructure and resources required to capture and store it. That’s a lot of water going straight into the Yarra River every single year which could be benefitting our 6.8 hectares of grounds and gardens – now.
Your gift today could assist us to:
- Install essential piping and infrastructure, including water tanks, to help double our essential rainwater catchment – saving over 2 million litres of valuable water each year
- Invest in drought-resistant plants
- Protect our heritage-listed trees from overflowing rooftop downpours
- Protect our natural habitat, home to native birds and wildlife
- Open more of the Convent’s green open spaces for our community to meet, create, relax and recharge.
If you’re passionate about the Convent and about protecting our environment – and if you’d like to see our green spaces supported by vitally needed water capture – please donate to our sustainable water harvesting project today.
No other venue in Melbourne has a combination of extraordinary heritage buildings, incredible arts and cultural programs and expansive historic gardens and grounds. With your help, we can ensure this unique precinct is protected and nurtured for another 100+ years.
Your support is an investment in the future of this incredible place. Please consider making a donation today.
Donate online or call Alexandra Murphy, Head of Development, on 03 9415 3607.