Keep it Green: New Ground
The Convent’s 6.8 hectares of green open space offers a place of retreat and inspiration, 365 days a year. We’re working hard to ensure our heritage gardens survive and thrive for generations to come, and continue to play a vital role in connecting our growing community, enhancing health and wellbeing, and nurturing wildlife in their natural habitat.
We’re tackling the large project of reinvigorating a dilapidated piece of the Convent’s great outdoors: Mercator grounds. This is one of the most under-utilised green spaces at the Convent, and we must safeguard it for future community access and use.
Your gift towards our current ‘Keep it Green: New Ground’ fundraising appeal will help us bring new green initiatives to Mercator grounds, including:
- Plant new drought-tolerant shrubs (including indigenous species) to extend natural shade
- Install solar-powered LED lighting so the outdoor area can be used beyond daylight hours
- Plant new deciduous and evergreen species of climbing plants to enhance 30m fence line
- Install irrigation and sprinkler services to the immediate area from the new water tanks
- Engage specialist arborist care for the three primary heritage trees along the fence line: 2 x River Red Gums, 1 x Sweet Pittosporum
- Bring a new piece of green spaces to life for community use
If you enjoy your time outdoors at the Convent, and you’re passionate about protecting our shared environment for the future – and if you’d like to see more of our under-utilised green spaces protected and opened up for community use – please donate to our ‘Keep it Green: New Ground’ appeal today.
The Abbotsford Convent Foundation (ACF) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation. It does not receive any recurrent government funding, from any level of government, to manage or maintain the Convent precinct – including for the upkeep of our expansive gardens and grounds. We rely entirely on the support of the community. People like you.
03 9415 3607