Keep it Green: New Ground
The Convent’s 6.8 hectares of green open space offers a place of retreat and inspiration, 365 days a year. We’re working hard to ensure our heritage gardens survive and thrive for generations to come, and continue to play a vital role in connecting our growing community, enhancing health and wellbeing, and nurturing wildlife in their natural habitat.
Right now, we’re focusing on our green space: how we can protect it, reinvigorate it, and open up more of it to our growing community.
We’re hoping we can count on your support as we tackle the large project of reinvigorating a dilapidated piece of the Convent’s great outdoors: Mercator grounds. This is one of the most under-utilised green spaces at the Convent, and we must safeguard it for future community access and use.
Your gift towards our current ‘Keep it Green: New Ground’ fundraising appeal will help us bring new green initiatives to Mercator grounds, including:
- Plant new drought-tolerant shrubs (including indigenous species) to extend natural shade
- Install solar-powered LED lighting so the outdoor area can be used beyond daylight hours
- Plant new deciduous and evergreen species of climbing plants to enhance 30m fence line
- Install irrigation and sprinkler services to the immediate area from the new water tanks
- Engage specialist arborist care for the three primary heritage trees along the fence line: 2 x River Red Gums, 1 x Sweet Pittosporum
- Bring a new piece of green spaces to life for community use
You can help protect and reinvigorate a new outdoor green space at the Convent, and bring Mercator grounds to life – by making a donation today.
We need to raise $30,000 by 31 December 2018 to get to work on these neglected grounds as soon as possible.
If you enjoy your time outdoors at the Convent, and you’re passionate about protecting our shared environment for the future – and if you’d like to see more of our under-utilised green spaces protected and opened up for community use – please donate to our ‘Keep it Green: New Ground’ appeal today.
The Abbotsford Convent Foundation (ACF) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation. It does not receive any recurrent government funding, from any level of government, to manage or maintain the Convent precinct – including for the upkeep of our expansive gardens and grounds. We rely entirely on the support of the community. People like you.
Your support is an investment in the future of this incredible place. Please consider making a donation today.
Donate online or call Alexandra Murphy, Head of Development, on 03 9415 3607.