2020 Studio Residency Program
The Abbotsford Convent Studio Residency Program, which launched in 2017, focuses on supporting artists to develop works that are site-specific or site-responsive. Works created through the studio residency will be presented throughout our site as a vibrant and temporary means of fostering delight and dialogue, as well as encouraging engagement between our site, urban landscape, artistic community and audiences.
The studio residency program offers a unique opportunity to have time, space and support to undertake site-specific or site-responsive research, investigation and consideration. It offers you an opportunity to invest in your own artistic practice and at the same time build your professional network and share your work with diverse audiences.
The Convent, with its historic buildings, active community and textured history, is fascinating and layered. However the continual change experienced across the history of our site combined with the spaces within and inbetween our built environment are delightfully porous and ripe for artistic investigation.
The studio residency program will provide two artists with:
Studio space for 6 months with 24/7 access
- An honorarium of $2,500 to be invested in the studio residency project outcome
- Access to Convent staff for support and mentoring
- Marketing and communications package to promote your studio residency and outcome
Residency 1: Monday 6 January – Friday 3 July 2020
Residency 2: Monday 6 July – Friday 18 December 2020
The studio is a 10m2 space located in the west wing on the second level of the Convent building. Facilities include: free WiFi, power points, access to a wash-up sink, heating, shared kitchenette, bathrooms, shower and subsidised car parking and venue hire.
Please note that due to the heritage nature of the building, any intended use or practice that produces emissions or particles cannot be considered due to the sensitive nature of the fire and particle sensors located throughout the building – please refer to our FAQ document.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
We invite proposals for the Abbotsford Convent Studio Residency Program from Australian as well as International artist(s) who work in any media or form. For interstate and international applicants, please note that the Convent does not provide residential accommodation and cannot sponsor a visa for applicants where an additional cost is involved (please refer to the FAQs document). All applicants must have the right to live and work in Australia for 6 months, and receive the honorarium.
A selection panel will assess proposals based on applicants’ responses to the following selection criteria:
- The commitment and capacity of the applicant to use the opportunity to progress their artistic practice and makes good use of the studio space and Convent precinct through this site specific/responsive studio residency
- Demonstrated track record in successfully completing previous projects to the highest artistic standards
- The potential of the applicant’s artistic concept to add to the creative dynamic of the Convent and make an impact on our community.
A condition of applying for this studio residency is that the successful applicants will commit to producing a site responsive or site specific work / body of work as well as present an artist’s floor talk or other creative public programming concept(s).
HOW TO APPLY
Applications open: Monday 5 August 2019
Applications close: Sunday 15 September 2019, 11.59pm
All applicants must submit:
- CV/biography – including any exhibitions, grants, awards, reviews, etc.
- Up to 12 images
- A response to the above-listed selection criteria using the form below
Apply via the online form by Sunday 15 September 2019, 11.59pm
Please contact the Abbotsford Convent’s Tenant Community Manager for any questions about the studio residency program.
Tenant Community Manager
03 9415 3610